Tuesday 5 October 2010

Two Weeks In

If you are ever told to watch 'The Night Porter' for class or for work or just by a friend... don't. Save yourself the trouble and look up a film called 'Good' instead. The Night Porter is something that we've had to look at due to it's supposed sado-masochist themes and it's questioning nature of guilt and innocence. But it's just so damn BORING. I don't know how you could make a film about a Concentration Camp survivor and former Nazi SS Officer meeting after 12 years and hating each other dull... but they managed it. Lilina Cavani, that is, and her team. Gods, it was just so long... so slow...

Onto better things, I'm now two weeks into my third year at uni and as Mike has said, it'll be over soon enough. That means worrying about jobs and homes and all that crap, but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough. I should probably mention that I've run out of Stargate to watch by now, I can't make it last that long. I'm now contemplating whether or not I should buy season 5 of Lost, season 7 of The Shield or season 1 of House (since my previous copy of season 1 got vanished somewhere and I feel I should get 1 again before I get 6). I'm allowing myself to buy one season box-set per month at the end of each month.

I feel obligated to buy The Shield since I love it so and still don't own season 7, I know too that I should finish Lost and get 5 and 6... but it's Lost... it started so good and it got so poor... so what October's choice will be is yet to be seen. It might be none of those.

I'm gonna be in Newbury as of tomorrow (or this afternoon, really), for a couple of days. Going back to work for just a bit more than the weekend, then back in time for class, where myself, Coates and Ad will have to get the rest of the class up on The Night Porter. Joyous times.

Shoot me now, please.

In other news I've found it harder and harder to actually come up with stuff to write in my blogposts, I tend to leave them for days on end, just sitting there in front of me. This one's a bit different, am simply going at it with sleep-dep in my eyes, wondering if I'm gonna get my writing done for the day or if I'm gonna double it up tomorrow or whatever. Probably going to do that, I feel that I need some serious sleep. But then, that's nothing new with me, is it.

CYRUS.

Okay, so this wasn't the film I was really expecting. This is gonna be a very short review, because I still don't really know what to say about this movie. 'Offbeat' doesn't even begin to cover it, it's just so... peculiar.

I've never been a fan of Jonah Hill or John C. Rielly, but they were both fine. They both pale in comparison to Marisa Tomei, who carries the film with grace and beauty. The Duplass Brothers (writers and directors) sure know how to pick 'em.

This movie has heart, but you have to work at it to get at it, if you know what I mean. If you're not willing to actually think about it as an audiance member, you're not going to get anything out of it, which'd be quite easy to do.

The one thing that does quite suprise me about this movie is that it was Executive Produced by Ridley and Tony Scott. The Scott Brothers?! The frickin' SCOTT BROTHERS!?! That was unexpected, it didn't seem like their kind of film, to be honest.

Next time: Guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment