Sunday 12 June 2011

Bathroom Blues

So other than experiancing absentee tennants who think that just because they're in Finland for a month they don't have to pay the rent, my main source of frustration that I can feel building behind the eyes is the upcoming bathroom renovation. It's good that my nice new tennants shall be recieving the fruits of our labours to bathe, ablute and wash themselves in, but I don't really get the chance to use it, for when I'm done, I'll be moving.

So apparently a new bathtub, multiple taps, a toilet, some basins, a shedload of wall tiles and a couple other bits are all making their laborous way towards my flat in the form of multiple deliveries over the next week and I shall have to be in to recieve them. I have a feeling that the flat's going to fill up with a lot of carboard boxes pretty soon, just like a repeat of last year, when we did the sodding kitchen. I live life on the edge.

Still, that's not for another week or so.

I'm struggling to think of things to actually write down, which is pretty normal for my and this blog. I normally think of something decent and connected to have said about 5 minutes after I hit 'publish', then promise myself I'll use it in the next post and promptly forget all about it. I'm currently doing three times the daily amount of my writing schedule, in order to make up for the two and a half weeks where I could do no writing (what with my power cable being on the fritz and all). Ahm... yeah, that's about it, really.

HANNA.

Stylised. That's the word that instantly leaps to mind. Stylised and a little bit over-the-top at that. The film is about a little girl who is the world's best assassin, raised by her father in the wilderness of the arctic. Her father (Eric Bana) has a grudge against the head of a division of the CIA (Cate Blanchett in a role I felt might have been better suited to Tilda Swinton) and executes an elaborate plan involving said daughter to kill Blanchett and then disappear once again. It doesn't go to plan, they get seperated and Hanna has to figure out what it is to be an actual human being and all that.

Honestly, this film isn't quite as good as it could have been. If it had maybe been a bit less stylised, if the camera work hadn't been quite as pretentious (yes, I said it), then perhaps this film could have been a real pulse-raiser. As it was, it was perfectly adequate and reasonable, just not all that memorable. The director clearly has a massive crush on Bana, because all the action shots of him are gorgeous, detailed, lavish and brutally powerful, while our young lead (Saorise Ronan) is kind of in the background of her own method of killing.

All in all, a little bit too up itself, but a decent effort. Awesome score by the Chemical Brothers, however.

Next up: PRIEST

No comments:

Post a Comment