Wednesday 28 September 2011

We Didn't Like The Wallpaper, Right?

So my new bed did arrive yesterday, shortly after I posted that last blog entry. Here I am sitting upon it and it is pretty damn comfy. They're futon mattresses, which is great. It has a top single bunk and a lower double bunk and the lower one actually folds out to become a sofa. This is also great.

Now all I need is some kind of TV to put in my room and I may never leave it again. I barely have any other furniture in here and it's quite a large room, so I do tend to notice just how empty it can be a lot of the time. Still, at least with this bed in here now I'm a bit more invested in the place.

Although the wallpaper on the stairs... yeah... my bad, I'll cover that. Moving it up wasn't quite as good a fit as me and Vicky thought it'd be...

Still, Vicky's now a member of the gaming group, which means I've got four regulars on a sunday afternoon now for November's Chosen, which is all cool.

You may have noticed that I'm filling in the gaps with the ones I left behind, by which I mean blog entries. For the new batch that I've started at the end of September, there are still unpublished ones dated the end of July and most of August to get through, and I will get through them, I promise.

Don't want to let this blog slip, I do actually like doing it and, as I was explaining to a friend last night, that's the only real reason to do something.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN
(2011)

You know what is good in life? *Arnie voice* To crush your enemies, to drive them before you and hear the lamentation of the women *end Arnie voice*. This remake does none of those things. It doesn't capture the huge, expansive world of Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age (despite trying to show you more of it than the Arnie film ever did) and it doesn't capture the sense of mystery and violence combined that the last one did either (despite having more of the violence, but that's to be expected).

Credit where credit is due, Ron Perlman and Jason Momoa both did pretty good jobs, I was rooting for Momoa to get this leading role for quite some time, he is ideally suited to it after his extensive experiance with Stargate Atlantis and Game of Thrones, although he was severely let down by the movie in general. The sequence of Conan as a boy had undoubtably the best and most brutal fight scene of the movie, but was also the least neccessary part of the story and probably should have been cut.

All it really did was serve as a reason as to why Conan was hunting down this particular badguy (who managed to spend just enough time on his massive quest to become an even bigger cliche for Conan to grow to manhood and gain the neccessary fighting skills to defeat him) and for the badguy to introduce his array of increasingly ethnic sidekicks. I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as all these colourful sub-characters that got about two lines each were introduced all I could think was that Conan will now go on to have a showdow with each of them in sequence. Oh look at that, that's what he did. And that there was the entire film. The bad guy spends the whole thing tracking down an ancient mask and the bloodline of an order of necromancers to activate it and.... it does what? Make him slightly more likely to be beaten up by Conan? Right....

All in all, pretty poor effort, nothing really in it and why was there a ship being carted around the jungle by a dozen elephants for no reason? Jog on guys, Arnie's still got this one.

Next up: Beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment