Tuesday 24 January 2012

Aaaand We're Crazy

So yeah, you'd think that in the middle of moving house, my brother dropping out of university, complications in my rather unexistant love life and still trying to find time to catch up on sleep, that I'd pick a better time than to try and start my own business. But no, here I am, not thinking things through.

You see, I've been running the Corn Exchange cafe for about five months now, which includes the whirlwind of chaos that was Panto season. I never thought I was doing a particularly excellent job as supervisor, but everyone above me seemed happy enough with it. I was just getting on with my job, but then it changed.

I was told that I couldn't do the rota next time because it wasn't "what my boss wanted" when I showed her the end result. Pretty sure she gave me the job in the first place, pretty sure that if she'd wanted something in particular from it, she should tell me in the first place, so that I don't get it wrong.

So because of this, I decided that I was going to look into how to take on the cafe myself, since they were advertising for a franchise to run the place. Getting a franchise in would essentially put me out of my shiny new promotion and cut down my hours to about 10 a week. So I figure, why not do this for myself?

My team consists of me, my friend Kerry from Rios and Tim, who's been working on the cafe with me. So we've been putting together our business plan, discussing finances and figuring out what hours we can all do and what products we'd try to sell, what our menu would be... it's all so very grown up and responsible that I'm kind of unsure what I'm doing here, but it all seems like everyone thinks I'm good for the job... not least of which is my Dad. When we were moving into the flat, he said he would support the business financially with a several grand loan. That's actually the scariest part of it all, my Dad is willing to bankroll us. Jeez.

So yeah, crazy. Very crazy.

SHERLOCK (BBC)

Well, I don't think there's been a more keenly discussed BBC series in the last two years. With the rise of Steven Moffat into being the BBC's Golden Boy, Sherlock and Doctor Who are probably some of the most demanded TV in the UK. That and Misfits. But yes, Sherlock. Taking the classic stories of Conan Doyle and modernising them into 2012, making Watson's journal into his blog, making Sherlock's opium habit into nicotene patches, it's all just so slick and random, so fun and insane, that it works so brilliantly well.

So far, we've had 6 episodes on Sherlock, each of them is an hour and a half long, making each one a television movie in its own right. I mean, I was a bit off with the format to start with, then I watched the first episode last year and Holy Christ does any of that not matter. Not only does Benedict Cumberbatch simply dominate the screen, but the writing is tight, smart and leaves the viewer feeling deeply impressed and satisfied. Like, needing a cigarette afterwards satisfied.

At least that's what I thought for the first four hours and twenty minutes. Then, ten minutes from the end of the first season, 'Jim Moriarty' played by Andrew Scott. And it was downhill from there. I don't quite know what Moffat and Gatiss were playing at when they created this version of Professor Moriarty, but it can go fuck itself in the ear. I don't think I'd ever been more disappointed by in a TV show than that exact moment. It depresses and saddens me to think that they went with this irritating sap.

The second season that we've just had was amazing. We kept wet cloth over there to a minimum for the first two episodes. Scandal in Belgravia was smooth, sophisticated and brilliantly executed, Hounds of Baskerville was daring and weird, but it was probably the best you could do with that particular story. Then there was the Reichenbach Fall and the return of Moriarty. It was probably the best that Scott's Moriarty had ever been, and it did the series a favour when it came to the final confrontation.

In the end, this is a great show with one major drawback. Can I still love it? Yes. Can I still recommend it? Yes. But you didn't need me to tell you that. It's still worth watching, no matter what they do that's unconventional and off the wall.

Next up: Inside Men (more BBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment