Monday 19 November 2012

Felt The Need

To write a blog post. I've been up for about 24 hours now, in order to reset my lousy sleeping pattern. I'm not all that tired yet so I should be good until about 10pm or so. What have I done with those hours? Worked for a few, me and my brother got take out and then watched movies, then we played Dungeons and Dragons for about six and a half hours, listened to some serious Linkin' Park and went to Tesco to buy Cherry Coke, copious amounts of pizza, crisps and some of those Southern Fried Chicken sticks I've taken a liking too. Then I spent the last eight hours on my sofa, in my pyjamas playing Xbox games. It's a monday.

I love being an adult sometimes.

ANNA KARENINA

For those of you expecting another cop-out costume drama from the inseperable team of Joe Wright and Keira Knightly... you're only half right. It's got all the trappings for being a stodgy look at pretty frocks and overpaid actors... but the theatrical motif that the film is presented in is head-scratchingly beautiful, the script is tight (as tight as a script adapted from one of the most sprawling Russian epics ever written can be) and the acting is pretty good all round.

I really wasn't expecting to like this film, it's not my normal cup of tea. I genuinely felt like it knew that it lacked originality in some areas, so it had to make up for it in others, which it managed to do with the whole 'we're in a theatre but not really' scene setting. I recommend it, but go into it knowing that it's a long old haul and you may need to take notes on who knows who and why are there two main storylines that only have the slightest bit of interaction... what's that? Tolstoy was an arse? Yep, sounds about right.

Good to see Ruth Wilson in work and Jude Law gives one of my favourite of his performances in this piece, and I don't say that lightly.

Next up: LAWLESS

No comments:

Post a Comment