Tuesday 4 December 2012

The End... Or Is It?

(Note, this part of the post salvaged from one I didn't finish back on the 17th November.)

Well, at about 2am this morning, I concluded Episode 13 of Season 5 of Resistance, my post-apocalyptic super-hero script. That means that in the two years I've been tapping away at this project, I've done 65 episodes, each one 42 pages long. That, by most people's standards, is a hell of a lot of writing.

See, thing is, is that when some friends of mine read over the first few episodes, they pointed out a few typos and mistakes that I didn't catch onto at first. Did I go back and change them? No, not really. Haven't done so unless I was in the middle of the episode and realised back then.

So that means that all 65 of those episodes were first drafts. I just did a first draft for five seasons of a tv show. And probably quite an expensive first draft, looking at the special effects suggestions that I made. Not that I expect anyone will ever see most of them.

(This part of the post now written on 4th December)

So yeah, I've gone back and looked at some of those earlier Resistance scripts from two years ago. Man, do they need a second draft. That aside however, I was amazed at how the characters had developed over the years and seasons. Now, I'm not one for much characterisation when writing, I tend to just lay it all down and see where it goes, with characters acting themselves really, tapping into that part of my brain where my actual concious thought dare not to tred.

And you know what? It works, it really does. Maelstrom has the most pronounced change throughout the story, mainly towards the end, while Stonewall has kinda the inverse of hers. Nathan was always my favourite character, how he went from being quite a dick to being a confusion spouting idiot savant. Rush and Regiment had the least changes going on for them. In Rush's case it's clear I don't really get teenage girls, while for Regiment, well he was perfect from the start.

Do I like it? Yeah. Will I do more? Maybe. Will anyone ever read all of these? Dunno, how patient are they?

GOOD COP
(from the BBC)

When the first episode of Good Cop hit the iPlayer I didn't really bother with it, I trust the acting capabilities of Warren Brown, but what with him being the sidekick in Luther, was hoping not to see him in anymore police drama unless it was either a spin off of Luther or more Luther. Because man, do we need more Luther in our lives.

The premise was fantastic, a bad day for a beat cop turns worse when his best friend is murdered by a group of thugs. He decides to take matters into his own hands

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I found you on Martin's blog and I thought I'd have a looksy. Seems like you haven't been very focused on your blog in 2013 so far but I hope that will change because I'd like to hear more about these scripts that need second drafts...

    ReplyDelete