Sunday 11 April 2010

All Good Things...

Just finished watching the final season of Prison Break. I remember when I tentatively bought season 1 of Prison Break, back in 2005, thinking that seemed like an odd idea for a series, but would give it a go. I really liked season 1, got on okay with season 2 but found it repetative and had very, very mixed feelings about season 3. Now it's over... well... it's over. Can't say as I'm too broken up about it, nor that I'll miss it all that much, especially since I have all the dvds.

However, it is the first of the big, major, expensive U.S. series that I started gathering to me around 2005 (which includes Lost, Bones, House, Grey's Anatomy and probably a few others) to finish. Lost won't be that far behind it, but they'll all be winding down within a few years. It's a mini golden age for American television, with Prison Break being one of the first to go. Still, it did what it wanted to do.

Robert Knepper needs more work.

THE WOLFMAN.

See, when I heard that Joe Johnston (director of Hidalgo and Honey I Shrunk the freakin' Kids) was working on a remake of The Wolfman, with Benecio Del Toro, Hugo Weaving and SIR Anthony Hopkins... I can only saw HELLS YEAH! to that idea. Alas, the end result was not what I was hoping for.

Coates and I noted it almost immeadiatley, the timing was off. There were plot points being thrown left, right and centre in the first few minutes and tonnes and tonnes of plot exposition was hurled at us and we barely had enough time to form an opinion as to what the hell was going on.

The action was over too quickly, the monster rampages were fun but not overly memorable and the howl was wrong. Now, that last one is probably the most important thing to a werewolf movie, the howl has to be perfect, and nobody has ever bloody realised it. The howl is what seperates the wolf from the man. That's the simplest thing and so few get it right.

The only real saving grace of the movie is Hugo Weaving's 'Pint of bitter, please.' Scene, which gives us a great deal of satisfaction to watch.

It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's not really worth a watch, but go for it if you want too. I was immensely disappointed by it.

(Next time: The Lovely Bones)

No comments:

Post a Comment