Tuesday 6 April 2010

Not the best of moods

Must admit to feeling pretty hateful the last few hours, so I have no idea what possessed me to write a blog post. I mean, all I'd be doing is bitching about how the world sucks and we need to press that big red button that'll make the nukes fly... and there was me about to get started. But I'll tell you what I will bitch about, 'smart' shoes.

I got an email from my boss asking me to do various shifts coming up when I'm in Newbury, which is cool enough and there's a bit about the uniform. We now don't have to wear official bar logo shirts, but if we've got them then feel free, but now we have to wear black shoes. 'Smart' black shoes. I don't own any 'smart' black shoes, so I have to buy some.

Now... why the HELL do I have to wear 'smart' black shoes?! I'm a FRIGGIN' BARMAN. We pour drinks and make banter. We spend a lot of time on our feet.

If you're wondering why I refuse to type the word 'smart' without the 's, it's because what is considered smart by the majority is OPINION, not FACT.

FACTS: 'Smart' black shoes are expensive. More expensive that trainers or walking boots, which is what I normally wear. They have a lifespan appoximately a third of either aforementioned type of footwear and are primarily designed for appearance, not for comfort.

OPINION: I think they look retarded. Most disagree.

I have ridiculous amounts of complaints against any kind of percieved 'smart' clothing as well. I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit, I'd use ties to wipe my arse with because they're utterly worthless as an item of clothing and anyone who pays twice the price of an ordinary shirt to have a label with some prick's name on it is a MORON. Now I'm on a rant. See what you made me do? Gargh.

And don't think I'm being biased towards the 'smart' people either. All piercings need to go away and die somewhere, apart from possibly ears, we're just used to them being socially acceptable. Tattoos need to be seriously considered before being applied to flesh and I DESPISE those stupid Celtic knots or Oriental writing that means utterly NOTHING. Why the hell should I wear band t-shirts? What have that band done for me lately? Eugh. That's enough for now.

UP IN THE AIR.

Brilliant. Bloody Brilliant. My mother found the ending to be rather bleak, but then she hasn't seen The Road. It's a story of a man who wants, not needs, to change the way he lives, just a little. He's a closed off man, determined to live his life the way he wants to, with no real responsibility and no commitments to tie him down. Then one day, he figures that he should start doing things differently. And just maybe, it might not work out.

Clooney hasn't always been my favourite actor, but he did damn well at this one. I felt a certain kinship with the character that I rarely notice in others. He doesn't want to get married, he doesn't want kids, he's happy just cruising through life and he seems to take an almost cynical enjoyment in explaining that to people. But he changes, in a way that suits him. One small step at a time, just what you can manage.

See, I've barely talked about the movie itself, I liked it so much. See it. I have to admit I leapt up and down for joy when I heard that Rietman (of Juno and even better Thank You For Smoking) had a new film out and I went to see it as soon as possible. Oh hells was that worth it.

See it.

Seen it yet?

Then why are you still here?!

(Next time: The Wolfman)

No comments:

Post a Comment