Sunday 13 June 2010

Puppy!!

I don't get to see my mother often these days, she spends most of her time up in Scotland and I'm down in Southampton, so we couldn't really be any further apart. So whenever I get to see my mother, I always find myself a little guilty in that, while I'm always happy to see her, there's always someone with her that I get rather goofy and childish over.

I am of course referring to 'wee Basil', the adorable little beagle hound that spends all of his time following my mother around, being ridiculously cute and cowering at... well, anything. He's not the greatest nerve I've ever met, but he's certainly one of the most gentle souls I know. He's about three and a half now, but he's still simply *tiny*.

I've always, always, always been a dog person. I genuinely believe them to be better than humans, they are most essential to my sanity and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So while I'm still in newbury for the next week, I shall be cohabiting with the wee one, who is looking blankly at me from the end of my bed as I type this. Silly pup.

It was Cat Stevens (or Yusuf Islam, as I believe he likes to be called these days) that wrote a song entitled 'I Love My Dog'. He was a wise man, even if he couldn't decide on what to call himself. I think it goes something like this, if you'll imagine a simple guitar tune backing.

I Love My Dog,
as much as I Love You,
because I know my Dog,
will always be true.

And you know, more.

HOT TUB TIME MACHINE

If Four Lions of last week's review was an ideal comedy, something based in the real as oppose to the surreal, this is a very bad comedy. Overhaul, the film isn't all *that* bad, it's simply uninspiring, a right mess and rather predictable. There are some genuinely funny lines in there, playing on 80's fandom and how ridiculous it can be.

Basically, this is a pretty poor movie overall, and the main culprit is in fact the writing. First off, it failed to ascertain exactly what had happened the first time round in Winterfest '86. Without a map of what 'should have' happened, what 'actually' happened is a lot less important. Events seemed to be tacked on as an afterthought.

Second, the character of Jacob had no real place in the movie. He wasn't alive for '86, so why should he go back there? Third, very cheap humour in places. Fourth, the end. Now, I'm not one for talking spoilers, so let's just say that the end... turns out I can't do it without, so if you don't want any spoilers about the movie, that's all I can say other than the end was very unsatisfying for me.

I'll admit, this wasn't my first choice of film to go see, I pretty much only went to see it because I wanted to hang out with at least one of my newbury friends on my previous visit and Ade had already seen Robin Hood (earlier that day, it happens), so it was this or nought. I thought that this would be the last film I saw in May, but turns out I was wrong. As it stands, just one thing... Do you really need work this much John Cusack?! You're one of the best, the nerdiet, the weridest comedy actors there is, what were you thinking when you signed up for this?!?!?

Next Time: ROBIN HOOD.



*SPOILERS*

Basically, it gives them everything on a plate. Our heroes, after returning from 1986 discover that the guy they left behind, Lou, has remoddled the future to make sure that they're all rich, successful and happy. But it just feels so damn hollow. They haven't had to do anything to earn it, so it's worthless. It's just delivered to them and 'wham', that's it. A far better ending would have been to give the characters the perspective to know *how* to change their lives... then give the opportunity to go for it, no matter how risky it might be. This ending was too safe, too pansy, basically. Very, very disappointing. Nice gag about Motley Lou, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment