Saturday 25 September 2010

Sleepless in Southampton

So I'm informed that one of the most important things to bear in mind when doing this whole exercise/eating healthily/new order stuff is routine. Routine is apparently the best thing to help reshape ourselves. I really wish I'd been told that when I started, as oppose to now, nearly four weeks on. That would have meant that I hadn't just wasted four weeks.

See, my problem is that for the past decade I've had bizarre and irregular sleeping times. I have no discernable sleeping pattern, I seem to sleep as and when is needed, I cannot train myself to go to sleep at a certain time (it always, 100% of the time backfires) and almost two or three times a week I regularly stay awake for 30 odd hours at a time.

This is, quite frankly, beyond my control. Ever since I was 16 I have been afflicted thus and I have no idea why, I'm just used to it by now. But apparently 'dieting' requires that I don't do this. Well... tough shit. I can't not do this.

As for the actual process of this exercise/eating healthily/new order yadda yadda... I think it's made me more miserable than I've been in years. Everyone gets depressed when dieting, but DAMN have I been down since this whole crap started.

So should I continue? Should I go on? I told myself that I'd try to do this for six months, but so far I've screwed up at 26 days. Is it worth it? Having had a lot of time to think about it (especially on my walking excursions), I can't actually think of a real reason with which to justify all this behaviour. The problem with thinking like that is that I'm essentially trying to will myself to fail, but I have no idea what I should do. Maybe with Uni starting again on monday my mood will pick up, maybe I'll get more into it having people around most of the time (since it's been lonesome throughout September).

But then more people means more parties, more junk food, more going out and having a good time, which is what I'm reliably informed is what university is all about (after all the work is done, of course) and God Damn It, it's my final year. Should I not be social for the sake of being a bit thinner? I should also mention that even though it's only been 26 days, I don't feel even the slightest bit different for all this effort. Gah, part of me really wants to carry on, part of me wants to pack it in and they're pretty stalemate at the moment. I suppose this is what most people feel when putting themselves through this.

Gah. More Gah.

RESIDENT EVIL:
AFTERLIFE.

I'd like to make one thing clear, I liked the first 3 Resident Evil films. They're a hell of a lot better than the games (in my humble opinion), they're stupid in an entertaining way, they're fun and they have Saint Milla in them. I wouldn't say in any way that they are good films, but I liked them, they're just goofy enough to be entertaining.

This one? This one was shit.

I shouldn't be all that suprised, it wasn't a great franchise to start off with and I can't blame them for messing up every now and again, but I was just hoping that the level of mildly entertaining cheese could have been maintained. Now I know they're going for a 5th movie but quite frankly I'm not sure I'd be bothered to go and see it after this.

It's kinda pretty and there's plent of zombies and zombie dogs and there's that huge 'gatekeeper' creature that might as well have just been Pyramid Head after a small costume change (and don't get me started on how he was trying to batter down the prison gate, it was POOR)... but all in all there simply wasn't the entertainment value of the others.

Why, you ask?

Frickin' Wesker.

Now, he's supposed to be the main villian of the piece, of the whole series, in fact... so why is it that they felt the need to make him SO villianous that he might as well have been twirling his thin moustache and stroking a white cat. This guy was so hammily portrayed, so shockingly written that he should have been wearing a shirt that read 'CLICHE' on the front. He personally dragged the film down a hundred notches, although the main Umbrella plot for this movie was shockingly dire as well. Umbrella has never been a plausible bad guy, in fact every film they seem to get more and more over the top ridiculous in how pantomime evil they can get, but this one takes the biscuit.

They're rescuing survivors of the zombie apocalypse... so they can do frickin' experiments on them?!!?! Come on, guys!! The world has ended in front of you and you're STILL trying to take what's sodding left?!?! Considering that 98% of surviving humans after the T-Virus outbreak must actually be Umbrella employees and they all seem to wear black face masks, why the hell should they even bother? Eh, it's all just lame plotting. In the past, Umbrella's panto evil was much smaller scale, in limited areas and such. Made more sense (although not all that much). The plot is rife with overly convenient devices and predictable dullness. It's just poor, we all know that by now.

One thing that depressed me that little extra was Chris Redfield. He starts in a jail cell. He knows how to get out of the prison they're in. He's played by Wentworth Miller (of Prison Break). I'm not sure to feel sorry for him for the insulting typecasting, or not too because he knew what he was getting into.

Anyway, I liked the series up until now, with the 2nd one probably being my favourite. This is a terrible film and I recommend avoiding it. Also, the 3D is rubbish. But then if you're a regular reader then you knew I was going to say that, didn't you. Shame on you, Milla, shame on you.

Next time: THE TOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment