Sunday 10 July 2011

Ah Newbury... How I've Missed Ye...

Well, I've been a resident of Newbury once again for about a week now and... well... it's still Newbury. Nothing much has changed. It's not as big and varied as Southampton, but I know almost everyone and I've got two jobs here and... well... it's still Newbury. I still have nerdy friends, two jobs and more free time than I can shake a stick at. I'm currently living in the bedroom of one of my friends, while he's off running a pub in Whitchurh (Hampshire, not Shropshire), so I'm kinda living amongst his stuff.

It's cool though, I was mates with his housemates long before I moved in here and I'd even stayed here on occasion in the past. I'm currently looking to move away again sometime next year, but the right opportunity may present itself to go before that. We'll see, in the end. As it stands, I've got the Corn Exchange and Rios to tide me over, I've got my gaming friends and I've got a new kareoke night every week, although those last two seem to be in competition for the same night of the week. I'm sure it'll all work out somehow.

That's it, really. I'm back, I'm here, I'm entrenched, because in a weird way it feels like I never really left and at the same time, it's like it's a whole new place.

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN:
ON STRANGER TIDES

Now this? This sucked. I mean, it's a real shame to see the results of this particular endevour, seeing as how much I loved the first Pirates film. But the magic is most certainly gone, isn't it, Mr. Depp? So Cap'n Jack is on the way to find the magic mcguffin he was whinging about at the end of the last film (couldn't they have thought up something else?) and the usual assortment of rivals are after it too. Barbossa's back as a British Commodore, but he gets far too little screen time and he's not as fun as he used to be, back in the first film.

You see, the main problem with the Pirates films is that people seem to think that Captain Jack is the main character. He ain't, he ain't by a long shot, or at least he shouldn't be. Jack is a comedy sidekick, that's about it. In the first movie, plucky Will Turner was our main protagonist, who had all the personal growth and story arc to go through, while Jack gets to arse about in a comedy manner over his shoulder. In the second and third films, Jack and Will seemed to be about level-pegging, with Will winning out in the end due to his act of self-sacrifice.

But now? Now there's no main character for Jack to be a foil too. He's in the limelight and we begin to realise that there just isn't enough to him as a character to hold up the movie. Add to that the pointless zombies, the bored Spanish, the questionable use of Blackbeard, the irritating sub-plot of a priest falling in love with a mermaid and... well... the result is pretty much null and void. There's nothing really in this movie, it's two and a half hours of being reminded that the best days of the Carribean are far behind us. Damnit, and I was looking forward to it as well.

Next up: SENNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment