Friday 7 October 2011

For I Am The Work-Bunny

Yeah, there's been far too much of that old 'work' thing taking up my life at the moment. See, the Corn Exchange has just undergone a mild upheaval, the ladies that ran the day cafe have left us and now the Corn Exchange has extended the bar into the daytime to make a cafe-bar. Meaning that I had to learn how to use an Espresso machine on monday morning and then teach everyone else how to do it on tuesday evening.

So this week alone I'm down to do about sixty hours between my two jobs and I'm beginning to wear a bit thin, especially since I haven't had a day off since September 25th. I appreciate that there are people out there who do a hell of a lot more than me in terms of hours and difficulty of their job, but this is what I've got and it's slowly go a little stir crazy. If my hours keep up, the next time I get a day off is November 13th.

Me and Kerry of Rios were talking about it. We're both unmarried and childless men in our mid-to-late twenties, we can both work almost every hour going and will do so for just a fraction above minimum wage. This pretty much secures our livelihoods throughout this recession, but it probably won't be much fun, to be honest with you. Still, I don't have time to be thinking about such things, I've got work in an hour and a bit.

BOBBY FISCHER
AGAINST
THE WORLD.

Now this man had problems. Bobby Fischer is a name that is vaguley recalled by my parents as the Chess Champion that went nuts. And this documentary neatly sums up exactly how Bobby Fischer became a Chess Champion and then really, really did go nuts. There are barely words to describe just how frickin' nuts, really.

But yes, I shall say that this was a very well layed out and very well put together documentary concerning the rise to fame and context of Robert Fischer. As a ten-year-old with an obsessive mother in the 50's (who was obsessed with a great many things that were not her son) he began playing chess.

Quickly proving himself to be a national champion, Fischer became the hope and focus of the United States and used principally in the next stage of the Cold War, what with a Russian holding the title of World Chess Champion, Boris Spassky. Needless to say that the intellectual battle between them was intense and hard-fought, but respectful and honourable, which made Fischers deterioration into character death later in life even more remarkable. He was always a strange one, but he really did lose it later on.

I highly recommend this documentary simply because there's nothing more to highlight the incredible than itself and if there is one word to truly describe Fischer's life, it is incredible. Look it up if you so wish, it's a good use of your time.

Next up: Clever Girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment