Tuesday 14 February 2012

The Big Heart-Shaped Day

I'm pretty sure you know my feelings on Valentines Day. If not, go look up last year's entry and see what I said. Then remind me, because I can't be arsed to look for myself. But all that is kind of overshadowed by the main events of the day. There's no woman in my life, so I had business instead.

As I have bitched, whined and moaned about before, Myself, Tim and Kerry were trying to put a business plan and presentation together to present to the Corn Exchange management team and try to win ourselves a franchise. We had to do a business catering event showing off both our lunchtime and canape menu.

We put a lot of work into this. We put our hearts and souls into it, trying our very best to impress and show that we actually had something to offer. We discovered afterwards that of the six or seven business plans submitted (some of them from professional caterers), only two were given an interview, which was ourselves and the other group.

The group that got the offer in the end.

Turns out that our food didn't quite measure up to theirs, what with them being a great deal fancier than we were. We made baguettes, bagels, pigs in blankets and some strawberries on eggy bread to be a Valentines Day themed canape. They made spinach and ristretto pancake pizza things and salmon roulade and omlette rolls and... yeah, we didn't really stand a chance.

While I know that I can't quite be impartial about this, since I'm on the losing side of this little contest, I don't think that this was the best move for the Corn Exchange. I mean, Me and Tim have been running the cafe for them already, we know who we get and we know what they like. These new folk... well, they don't know that building like I know it. They simply can't.

So that's me out on my bike for a day job.

THE ARTIST.

Given that this review is actually written after the Awards... I really don't see what all the fuss was with this film. I mean, really? It was cute and all, but it didn't really have anything that made it all that memorable. I get kinda riled up by stuff like this, I appreciate that it wants to be art rather than entertainment, but that it also tries to entertain just to cover its bases, and then it gets lauded simply because of that.

Yes, it's in black and white, yes it's silent (for the most part). Does that matter? No, not really. It's cute, as I said, but it's just a romantic comedy that has a funny dog. It's a cool dog. Other than that, I simply can't appeciate it as anything more than a pointless gesture backwards. There's only one moment I truly loved, and that was John Goodman portraying the little dollar signs in his eyes for the ending sequence.

See it if you will, it's not as special as everyone thinks it is.

Next time: CHRONICLE

No comments:

Post a Comment