Monday 5 March 2012

One Month To Go

I made a choice. What with everything that's going on, having lost the cafe franchise to the other group, having Moina break up with me and then be somewhat inconsiderate with my feelings, and then some pretty bad interaction with a co-worker... I'm going to leave the Corn Exchange. I'm done for now.

I've put six years into the place and I don't really think that I've been treated the way I deserve, especially after the last six months of cafe supervision that I tried to perform, no matter how much my arms were tied behind my back and I didn't have any real power to do anything apart from serve drinks.

Over panto I spent about twelve hours a day in that place, when the cafe opened I did much the same for the first two weeks, as well as having to learn all the skills to run the espresso machine and then teach everyone else the very next day. I've done a lot for this place recently and my reward is to lose my promotion.

So yeah... I'm leaving. For now.

I'm sure I'll be back, there are two kinds of people that work in that place. Shifters and Stayers. I'm a Stayer, even if I want to take some time away. Shifters don't stay for very long. Stayers put in fifteen years minimum, it would seem. However, since there's no real chance for promotion within the Corn Exchange at the moment... I'll be moving on for a while. Not sure I know how to feel about it all, but that's what I'm going to do. So yeah, I've got one month left to go, as I leave on April 5th.

So, time to look for a new job.

J. EDGAR

The main problem with this film was there was too much film in it. They desperately tried to pack in too much story and it left the bulk of the movie a little jumbled and difficult to follow. Which is a real shame, because this was actually a pretty good film when you got down to it. There was an absolutely storming performance from DiCaprio (and to think, 15 years ago I'd have cut out my own tongue for uttering those words), as well as an authentic sense of historical accuracy that I've come to expect from Clint Eastwood's direction. Armie Hammer is also worthy of note as being overly handsome and talented.

I was truly impressed with how bold the film went when talking about his closeted (and rumoured, nothing is confirmed) homosexuality, especially since it was written by a Gay Activist and could well have gone too far in either direction, outing him or denying it. The film picked a very difficult line to follow for it and managed to stick to it brilliantly. Which is again a sad point in concern of just how jam-packed this film was to its detriment. If perhaps they'd just focussed on the Lindbergh case, or the creation of the FBI itself (since that didn't recieve as much augustation as it should have).

Is it good? Yes. Is it too long? Certainly. Could it have been better served by not having the narration and possibly being a two-part biopic instead? Definately. Still worth a watch, though.

Next time: TYRANNOSAUR

No comments:

Post a Comment