Friday 9 March 2012

Worthless

I'll admit, I've been feeling pretty worthless lately. What with everything that's been going on (and it's pretty much all in these blog posts), I haven't been having a good year so far. I look back to even a few weeks ago and it all seemed to be looking up. And I have to wonder why everything went wrong?

I can't really come to much more of a conclusion than 'Fate hates me this year', which I'm inclined to believe. (I should point out that, despite my overly rational and logical viewpoint, I am a believer in Fate) But I can't let that get me down, so I will have to try something different, something I'm not so good at.

I'm gonna try and be more positive.

And it's gonna start right in here.

I'm not gonna whine or bitch anymore in my blog, because quite frankly I've done enough of that in the last few months to last a lifetime and I'm not that badly off. I may be miserable and worthless in my own mind, but not everyone agrees with that and I should work on it. So I shall try to find some positive things to talk about from now on. So if I'm quiet for a while, you know why.

TYRANNOSAUR.

Jesus, I mean... Jesus. Any film that has brutal dog murder within the first minute, and then makes you sympathise with the guy that did it, that film is immense. And this was an immense film. Not in scope, I think, since it was about a bitter, grumpy, jobless widower who kills dogs and has nothing to live for. But it was immense in just how powerful it was.

As I said, the first minute of the movie is very difficult to take and if you don't want to sit through that, I wouldn't blame you, this film really does come with a warning, but if you can stomach that, then it's well worth sitting through. It's gritty, powerful stuff, the kind of thing that we haven't seen since Made In Britain and Poor Cow. God Bless Paddy Considine.

The performances by Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman (who has been waiting a long time for the recognition she got for this film) are unbelievable in their depth, as well as Eddie Marsan grimacing those rat-like teeth to full effect. The name of the film can be slightly misleading, since he explains part way through about his wife and how that name came about. But it's not about her.

It's about him. He's the Tyrannosaur.

Next up: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment