Wednesday 23 May 2012

Have you heard of Wreckamovie?

Well? Have you? Because if you haven't (the four people that actually read my blog), then you probably should have. Wreckamovie is a website that tries to get movie fans and people who think that they can make movies (but don't happen to live in Hollywood or are related to anyone who does) together, so that they can make movies. Or at least try to. Or at least discuss it.


See, Wreckamovie sounds like any other random website of nerds that want to talk more ideas than they have ability to act upon. The thing that makes it different, is that it's worked recently. More than two and a half thousand people got involved in a project that's been in development for the last six years, and it's being released today. Limited release, granted, but it's done.


It's called IRON SKY, and rest assured, I'll be reviewing it pretty soon, just got a few other to get through.


Now, don't get massively excited and sign up right now (although definately check out the website, http://www.wreckamovie.com/), because it takes a lot of hard work, effort, cash and people not being selfish to get anything off the ground. Iron Sky has more than two and a half thousand people supporting it and it took six years to get the thing made.


To be honest, I'll hold more judgement back until I've seen more projects come out of this website. I mean, if you think of the potential that this site can offer, this could undermine the major movie studios and bring film into indepedant hands, the hands of a hundred million movie fans sitting at home with their laptops. Will that happen? Probably not.


But it could. And I'd be interested in seeing it. As the website says, this could be Future of Film.


In other news, my D&D game is going weird, I'm not sure I'm a fan of join DMing, perhaps I'm more of a control freak than I thought, especially when it comes to stories. My housemate wants me to commence writing a script that he's suggested and wants to contribute too... I'm willing to give it a shot, but how well do I play with others?


Anyway.


AVENGERS
ASSEMBLE


Well, what can I say? I mean, we've been waiting about five years for this, since that last scene in Iron Man 1 back in 2008. Since then, Robert Downy Jr. has had two outings as the man in the Red and Gold Metal suit, Edward Norton made a Hulk Movie that shouldn't neccessarily be counted in the cannon, a pair of overly handsome men called Chris were given a Hammer and a Shield respectively, and now they're all here together.


Is it good? Is it up to the hype? I can sum it up in one sentence.


This film is *exactly* what we were promised. No more, no less.


I don't want to rant too much about it, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I don't want to praise it too highly, because it's not a perfect film, there's a very basic story that's pretty much taken straight from The Ultimates and it's in 3D (and you know how I feel about 3D). But you know what I mean by that sentence back up there?


This movie is FUN.


This movie is so much fun, that I went to see it twice, and the second time I even went alone (and I hate going alone to the movies). If you've ever seen a superhero movie, especially one of the five that came before this one, then you owe it to yourself to see this film. It may not be film of the year, it may not be a work of high art, but the Avengers deliver. It simply doesn't get any more awesome than this.


Next time: Some actual culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment