Saturday 23 June 2012

Fathers and Other Irritances

So yeah, my dad's down to visit. I should reiterate, my Dad's a good guy, he's worked hard throughout his life, he's always been very responsible, dedicated and widely travelled. This aside, he and I get on much better when he's in Scotland and I'm in Newbury. We're just very different people from very different worlds and we tend to get on each other's nerves.

Take this weekend. He turns up on thursday and has basically taken my bed (since I mostly sleep in the living room, where my brother sleeps in the bedroom). This means that I've gone back upstairs and my brother has been forced out to stay in various friend's houses. He's then comandeered my laptop so that he can use it because he didn't feel the need to bring his own.

This annoys me in many ways, because I haven't been able to complete my writing schedule over the last couple of days. Now, those of you know me well enough should know that there's nothing more in life that I hate than not being able to do my writing. Does he care? Of course he doesn't. Does he sit and judge me for watching Stargate in my pyjamas in the morning? Of course he does.

It's just... irritating.

Still, he's leaving on monday morning, not after me and him have to go to southampton for sunday and repaint the hallway that suffered from water damage. Anyway.

PROMETHEUS

You know... I'm still vaugely on the fence about this movie. The effects are good, some of the early story is pretty good, the cast is fairly awesome, but overall... I dunno, there was this big, wishy-washy Lindelof feeling to the whole thing that made me turn off it. That opening scene?


And man, how much was I looking forward to this. I mean, the return of Sir Ridley to the genre that he helped define in cinema? Alien and Blade Runner are still held as the standards that people are judged against. And just how ill this movie fit with the thing it was supposed to be a prequel of?


The film this most reminds me of is Sunshine, although I'd like to reiterate that I found Sunshine to be more awesome than this. It starts off with all the deep, probing, philosophical edge to sci-fi and the inter-personal relations of the crew (hats off to Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender, as well as Idris Elba, you guys were the fo-shizzle), but about half-way through we were suddenly subject to the standard android-backstabbing and ridiculous body horror that just came out of nowhere, just like how Sunshine turned into a slasher film 40 minutes from the end.


Do I recommend it? Not really.


Am I disappointed? Hells yes.


Should they just have made the sodding Alien prequel that they promised us originally? Of course they should. Hiring someone like Damon Lindelof to rewrite the script was a disasterous move, leaving far too many unanswered questions and jammied expositionary fuck ups. This should have been a much better film.


Next up:
ROCK OF AGES

3 comments:

  1. The connection it has to Sunshine is clear, I mean they both have the much underrated Benedict Wong in them.

    Honestly I liked the film, was it a prequel (well yes) just because it wasn't as close in tone or story of the Alien Franchise, does not make it bad. Or do we want another Phantom Menace? I liked that it was kind of indefinable. But the cuts are clear to see, you don't cast Idris to play the captain pugwash song and shag Charlize Theron, then later on put his fists in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On further reflection, no that is probably the reason why you cast 'Dris. I'll look forward to the extended cut. This film is Scotts best since Kingdom (Extended cut). The 3d was actually good, the first time I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dude. Not saying that it had to be a direct prequel to Alien in tone and style to be a good film, it's just that since that's what everyone seemed to want them to make, maybe they should've. Or perhaps they should leave the franchise to rest.

    And yes, all Scott films that you see in the cinema are only about 75% of the actual film and you often have to wait for the Extended Cut to make them the films they were meant to be. Or the Director's Cut. Or the Final Cut. Or the Lawnmower Cut.

    ReplyDelete