Monday 2 August 2010

About 4 Behind

So I was going to attempt to do six blog entries throughout the month of July, to match the six I did in June, but it appears that I came down with a case of the terminally rubbish and didn't manage it. Can't imagine why, me being such a paragon of dedication and organisation, after all. Never mind, then. I'll just have to do six this month to make up for it.

Of course, when I had left off last month I was almost catching up to my own film reviews, so now that I am once again drastically behind, I feel a bit more comfortable to know that my opinion can once again mean little to everyone reading. As if it didn't before. As if anyone reads this sodding thing. Anyway, a fair few film reviews to go, since I still loves me some movies.

In other news, I'm still grouting away at the kitchen, since there seems to be no end in sight to the amount of work I actually have to do for it. Mum and Dad and Basil will be here on the 11th of August so it had better all be done by then.

On the plus side I do have my brother around to help me out, that is if I can tear him away from Dragon Age. As far as Bioware RPG's go, it's a pretty decent outing, but it's nothing that Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect didn't do better.

Just, you know, with Dragons.

I spent the last week of July in Newbury, as well, getting reacquainted with the Corn Exchange, Rios, my vast amount of friends, Jim Jeffries and late night Halo.

As for the places I stayed, I was at Emma's for 4 nights, which was nice, since I got an airbed and a cool cat to hang out with. At the other end of the spectrum I was on a sofa with no shower for the other 4, but the company was more numerous, more masculine and there was more in the way of video gaming. Mr. Giff also graced us with his presence and I can't quite believe just how much I missed him. I'm a massive sop.

Okay, think that's me caught up.

Wild Target.

This film kind of took me by surprise, I hadn't really heard anything about it before it came out and I thought the one trailer I'd seen for it was actually an off-beat advert for some kind of product, since I wasn't paying attention. I get the feeling that's what I would have preffered this to turn out to be after I'd watched it, which is a shame. Me and the gang went to go see it and we weren't all that impressed.

I mean, look at the elements that went into this film. Bill Nighy, Martin Freeman, Rupert Everret. These names are AWEsome, they all command comedica and serious respect, they're what it's all about, these guys. Directed by Jonathon Lynn. This guy was responsible for Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, the two series that had their fingers of the pulse of British comedy. And CLUE! He directed CLUE! One of the funniest films I've ever seen.

How then, was it shit?

And not even just a bit dull. This movie was POOR beyond belief. I mean, the script was unimaginative and predictable, the acting was stodgy and it flowed about well as a stream of concrete blocks, the overall feel of this movie was 'when will it end?'. Which considering how short it was, is a huge anti-achievement. I simply couldn't beleive what I was seeing.

It was tragic to think that the best thing about this movie was Rupert sodding Grint, who has finally moved on from being a ginger wizard to being a ginger stoner.

So yes, this movie had a few moments of laughter, but was otherwise almost completely unbearable. C'mon British cinema, we can do far better than this, can't we?!

Next time: Get Him To The Greek

No comments:

Post a Comment