Tuesday 11 January 2011

What's the point?

Seriously? 1 hour? That's it? This week, my class time has been reduced to 1 hour. 1 measly hour. With Mike off ill and Sara having cancelled her wednesday class last week, that gave us 1 hour in uni and that was yesterday. And I pay £3,000 a year for this? Wonderful, I tell you, just wonderful. I might as well have not bothered getting out of bed at all.

I heard somewhere that I'd have to pay an additional £500 for every extra class that I wanted to sit in on (and there are two on a thursday that I do). Now, considering just how much actual class time I actually seem to get, if anyone tries to actually charge me for this, then they can quite frankly make out with my overly rounded backside, the pedantic pissants.

Money problems seem to be a recurring theme in my life at the moment. The Student Loans Company insists that I owe them about £2000, the University is cancelling my Bursary and the Council keeps badgering me about Council Tax that I don't actually owe them. It gets a bit much.

Is it just me or am I
getting more annoyed?

The Council stuff is easy to sort, I'm just kinda surprised that it hasn't been done already automatically, it's not like I didn't register or enroll. I just need to get the uni to send off a form on my behalf, but the fact that this keeps cropping up has me concerned for my tennants.

Not that they really deserve that much of my concern. Anthony's good company and we'll always have a chat, but he isn't big on communal tidying. Richard really, really, *really* isn't big on keeping anything clean. I don't think he's ever even washed a dish while he's been living here.

God damn I miss Sabeen.

Right... THE KING'S SPEECH.

When my parents saw this film (about a week before I did), in their cinema in St Andrews, the movie recieved standing applause at the conclusion. It didn't quite get the same treatment from moviegoers in Southampton Cineworld, but as far as I'm concerned, it sodding well deserved it.

I also saw that MovieBob thinks this film is simply Oscar Bait. Now, he makes fair points, it's got all the trappings of an Oscar lure, but I really don't think that makes a difference to just how damned good this film was. I mean seriously heartwarming, seriously well played, seriously good.

There's not too much I can say about it, really. It tells the story of how Prince Albert, who would go on to become King George VI (dad of Queen Elizabeth II), tried with great difficulty to overcome his crippling speech impediment, which would be vital for the coming years, with the build up to the Second World War in progress. It's a much bigger issue than it might appear, at least for Albert, who has spent his life in the shadow of his much grander family and their harsh 'old-school' ways.

The friendship between Bertie and Lionel is touching and rocky and taps into the class struggle that Oscar loves and people just seem to empathise with.

The performances by Rush, Firth, Bonham-Carter, Gambon, Jacobi and Pearce are simply brilliant, they fully capture Britian in the late 1930's and are truly moving.

Basically, this film may have been designed in order to hook the producers some Oscars... but it deserves everything that it catches. Because it simply is that good.

Next up: Black Swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment