Monday 14 February 2011

Single's Day

So today is Valentines Day, the day that everyone spends with their loved one and scoffs chocolate. Naturally, society being the way it is, this means that it's basically a one-way Christmas, where women expect men to fawn over them.

As I'm sure you can gather, I'm not a massive fan of this day in the year. I've spent the vast, vast, vast majority of my life single (apart from a few slip-ups), I tend not to associate too heavily with the other gender.

I'm kinda 'anti-relationship', which means I find it difficult to hang out with some of my friends when they are in relationships, which for some can be a great deal of the time. I've never really seen the upsides to them, but then that's mainly because I've never actually been with anyone I really, really, really liked. Or ever actually met anyone that I really, really, really liked. Maybe. I think.

Take two of my married friends, for example. They've got a new place, they've got a kid, they've got jobs. And they bitch at each other. And not just at each other, at people around them, people who don't want to be caught in the middle of it all, people who think that maybe it's not worth being their friends anymore because they don't really like seeing what this marriage is doing to them. They don't.

But that's just me. (Cue Dalek voice) *What is this emotion that you call laaarrrvve?* (End Dalek voice).

PAUL

So I initially saw the trailers for this movie and thought 'Is this a Pegg and Frost too far?' Should they simply get on with the third Cornetto movie and then be done with it? Because that's what we're all waiting for, so why don't they? But then I looked back at the various things that Pegg and Frost (as well as Wright and Hyne) have given us over the years.

Spaced.
Shaun of the Dead.
Hot Fuzz.

Yeah, they've earned my ticket to this movie (which incidently my brother paid for and I completely blanked paying him back, must do that). It may not be quite what I was after in terms of the next Pegg and Frost, but they've got my attention and they're not going to lose it anytime soon, unless this film turned out to be really, really bad.

And it wasn't. This film is a pretty solid 7 out of 10, as Joe described it. It's not quite as hilariously cutting as their previous movies have been, but it's got the whole ET-loving thing down, it manages to be just as respectful yet mocking as Shaun and Fuzz were to their respective genres (Zombies and Cop Movies respectively).

I think the one real downside was the voice of Seth Rogen. I mean, don't get me wrong, Seth's had a great career over the last few years, there's barely been a movie out that he hasn't been in, but I honestly didn't think we needed him for this one. His voice isn't his best feature and I don't think he really added anything to this movie that someone else couldn't have done just as easily, if not a bit better. That's pretty much my only complaint other than the happy-clappy ending, but I was expecting that anyway.

Best voice cameo in a while, though.

Next Up: RABBIT HOLE
(Because I've given up on seeing the frickin' Fighter)

No comments:

Post a Comment