Thursday 31 March 2011

And We're Nearly Home...

So, big developments for me lately, and I mean BIG.

Basically, I was planning on moving to London at some point in the future, and that point was namely going to be the 1st of July, my brother and I were going to start fresh new lives. But that's just had a change.

I was on my way back to Newbury on the old train when my brother called me. He has decided that he wishes to resit his entire third year of university, in order to clear his head of the crap that's been piling up there.

I honestly think that this idea works, and I support him fully in undertaking it, it just means that I'm gonna have to reschedule any plans of moving with him that I had. So where am I going to go? What am I going to do with myself?

In all fairness, that last one is something that I've been kind of asking myself for a while now. I'm 27, I don't have anything that could be unironically a 'career', I'm a shiftless layabout and I'm about to exit university for the second time, this time knowing just how much the real world sucks without any illusion about it. So yeah. I'm moving back to Newbury. At least there I already have a job and friends. A place to live might be good though, I hear that people need them.

BIUTIFUL.

Well, this film is anything but.

I can definately understand why it's being held in high regard and why Bardem was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in it, but as far as I'm concerned this film was more than two hours of mind-numbing, soul-destroying, heavy-handed morality story that never really went anywhere.

Our protagonist Uxbal is a family man of dodgy criminal income, his wife is sleeping with his brother and kicked out of the house, his kids are unhappy and living in poverty and he can see dead people. Oh yeah, where the hell did that come from? What did that possibly add to the story?

I admit that I'm not in the best of moods when I'm writing this review, but I have to say that looking back on it, I'm really not sure that this film deserves much more from me than my mild disinterest. It felt laden with all the things I label 'pretentious' and it seemed to go nowhere very slowly. There were whole plot points that I must have missed for just how little in engaged me.

Unfortunately that seems to be all I had to say about this movie. It really did that little for me. I managed to spit out more about Battle: LA last time. Now that's got to be an indicator, eh? I can talk more about alien invasion b-movies than this, what is supposed to be high art.

Oh well. Next time: SOURCE CODE.

No comments:

Post a Comment