Tuesday 1 March 2011

4 as opposed to 5

Okay, so I may have said how I was supposed to do 5 posts in February, then I got round to the end of February and realised that I'd sodding forgot one, so I'll bump up March to 6. I mean, it doesn't really mean anyhting to anyone but me, but it annoys me that I messed up my own schedule by a few hours. Because that's just how cool I am.

I think I want to talk just a little about my friends and their blogs for just a moment. 'In Pursuit of Expression' and 'So, I Have A Question' are two of my classmates and they shamelessly copied my awesome blog idea in order to make themselves look as cool as me. Except they don't review movies. And they don't talk as much bollocks as I do.

I like to think that we all have our own styles and subjects to talk about, but it comes down to it, I think I'm not as original as I sometimes think I am. Even just looking at the blogs of my friends I realise that the same thoughts occur to them as do to me, and they often manage to get it down onto wordpad without sounding as up themselves as I often do.

There are times I like to think of myself as one of the best writers in our class, because of my sheer output compared to everyone else, but there are times when I'm humbled by the creative genius, the simple yet brilliant ideas, the fantastic wording and dogged determination shown by my fellow writing students. To Dave and Martin especially, actually.

Although NORTHEN FIST does kinda take the prize.

DRIVE ANGRY.

Man this film sucked. Our lecturer was saying how Nick Cage might have been one of these people who lost everything in the banking crash, so he's doing every single crappy movie he can in order to make back some of his former fortune. I'm not entirely convinced by that, I've always found Cage's career to be as varied as an acid trip through a kalidescope, so I'm not really surprised by anything that he does.

Even this horsecrap. So Milton is on a quest to kill an overly stereotypical cult leader who wants to sacrifice his grand-daughter, encountering a large amount of classic cars, a fiesty large-busted sidekick, a supernatural prison warden and enough bullets to fill an oil tanker along the way. That all sounds fine on paper, but there's just one thing about this movie that can't quite be denied about it when it's watched.

There is nothing original about it. Now that's quite surprising considering that it's actually an original film, it's not adapted from anything, no comic books or trashy novles lurking in the back ground waiting to claim responsibility. No, it's original. But it's not original in any way. There's nothing in this movie that Supernatural, Prison Break, Shoot 'em Up and even sodding Ghost Rider didn't do better.

The only real redeeming feature of this film was to give William Fichtner some more work, but he's playing an agent of the underworld sent to bring Milton back. To a place he refers to as a prison. I thought Chris Redfield in Resident Evil was bad enough, but this takes the biscut. What's next, Robert Knepper plays a hillbilly? Amury Nolasco plays a Mexican? What will they force the cast of Prison Break to relive next?

Next up: Rango!

1 comment:

  1. I am humbled and honoured, thank you for the compliment my friend.

    ReplyDelete