Tuesday 17 July 2012

Physical Exertion

So just after I hit 'publish' on last week's blog post, I then got up, packed my backpack and joined my housemate Kerry on our new mission. We're going to the gym.

Now, for those of you who know me personally, take a moment while you pick yourself up off the floor, from where you have been doubtless rolling with laughter.

Kerry suggested this ages ago, he said he has a two week vacation coming up and he wanted to spend it in the gym. He said I should come too. I made some kind of grunt as a reply that he has since reminded me of, and now I'm paying £35 a month to Northcroft Gym. So I guess I'd better go to it then, if I'm spending my precious, precious coins upon it.

As you can gather, I'm not in very good shape, I prefer a hearty cheeseburger to a jog anyday. I hadn't actually been to a gym for about ten years, and a swimming pool for a good few years before that. Now I'm going to both about five or six days a week. Well, in this last week I've been five times, since I signed up. Does it hurt? Yeah, kinda.

To be honest, I'm probably not pushing myself hard enough when I'm there, I don't really end my hour or so in pain, but at the very least I'm getting more exercise.

We'll see how it goes.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN
VAMPIRE HUNTER

Is this movie as cheesy as it sounds? Of course it is. Is it actually worth a watch anyway? You bet it is. Me and Dave went to see this on his birthday for a laugh and you know what, it was actually fun, satisfying and just serious enough to make it a pretty decent film. For something that takes an actual historical character and insists that he hunted vampires before he was elected president, it takes itself very seriously and that's probably one of the best bits of ths film.

I was a big fan of pretty much everyone who was in this as an actor, with special note going out to Rufus Sewell, who I love as is. Ben Walker gave a good showing as Honest Abe himself (who, of course, can't be all that honest) and I was even enamoured of Dominic Cooper, who I take on a case by case basis. Was the 3D worth it? Of course not, but it didn't detract as much from the film as I thought it would. Maybe I'm just getting used to having to wear glasses for no reason in a movie.

I found the laws of vampirism interesting in this one, a better and more creative use of hunters than I'd seen previously. The only thing that really qualifies as a touchy area was the whole 'demonising' of the South, showing them as being in league with the stalkers of the night. I have no personal qualms against it, but I wonder how it'll go down over in the States. Hmmmm. Oh well, check it out, it's amusing.

Next time:
STORAGE 24

No comments:

Post a Comment