Tuesday 10 July 2012

Somebody Saaaave Me...

So yeah, I've been chain-watching Smallville. I got the complete box set (all 10 seasons) a couple of weeks ago and only just got round to cracking it open last week. This is because I was chain-watching Stargate (both SG-1 and Atlantis, but not Universe, I don't own it) before that. After I'm done with Smallville I'm going back to Battlestar Galactica.

Kinda makes you wonder why I do it, I mean, every time a chain series finishes, I tend to feel all bereft of purpose. Like my life has just become a little emptier. But then I muddle through, as if life somehow goes on. Which, I'm informed, it does. So yeah, after about a week, I'm two and a half seasons in. I probably have too much time on my hands.

In other news... not sure I have any. My Sabbatical is reaching the 'I definately have too much time on my hands' phase, not quite sure what I'll do to fill it, but it's been good to have a couple of months where nobody really expects me to do anything. Actually, they probably do, but I'm not sure that I give a toss what other people expect of me.

Ah well.

THE ANGEL'S SHARE

Well, the thing with Ken Loach films is that you have to go into them expecting to be thoroughly depressed, mildly vindicated and wondering about if there's anything you can do to change the social order. He makes films about Scotland, the terrible bits of Scotland, the bits we don't want to see. This one? This one's funny.


Now that's the last thing I was expecting from a Ken Loach film, but it starts off as you'd expect, people who have crappy lives having to do community service and things just seem to get worse and worse. And then? And then they discover a love of proper whisky and embark on a cheerful heist together.


A. Cheerful. Heist.


You read that correctly. I highly recommend this film, it's funny, heartwarming and has just enough of a bitter social realism edge to remind you of the man that made the film. Also, some excellent product placement for old Irn Bru, there. Very clever, am very impressed with that.


Of course it helps that my Dad's originally from Glasgow, so I could understand most of what's being said, I gather that was a problem for the less Scot-aware.

Next up:
ABRAHAM LINCOLN
VAMPIRE HUNTER



No comments:

Post a Comment